permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Source for Hobbit hole construct...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Source for Hobbit hole construct...
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:18:01 -0800 (PST)

I thought of that, but thought it would get plenty expensive. But your site
makes a case
for something pretty thin. Hmmmmm ....

So how thin could I get away with? And, would I need to create some sort of
ridge to
support the weight of the earth above it?

I suppose I could use 1/4 inch pencil rod for re-enforcement. Maybe three
layers of
chicken wire? 3/4 inch thick cement? 1 inch?

For a dome-ish structure with a ten foot diameter, do you have any gueses on
how much the
cement might cost?