permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: permaculture business]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: permaculture business]
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 12:26:17 -0700 (PDT)

Congratulations on having a plan; I think that is the
second most difficult task starting a business.

If you want to do any resource sharing, I am looking
to have a critical mass of web sites for maintaining a
server and high speed business quality connection to
the Internet. I have a prospective location to house
the equipment, but am currently running out of my
bedroom for my site. If you can deal with a faulty
current server and want a $9/yr temporary solution,
you are welcome to host your site with me.
Eventually, I will be looking to spread the cost for a
$2k low end computer and $600/mo T1. I will not move
forward until I have at least enough cash flow from my
own site to justify the costs; the domain name is
$9/yr or more from a variety of vendors which you need
to specifically target "DNS control"; most offer a
$15/mo and up site with name registration; having your
own computer in someone else's shop may cost $100/mo
and up, depeding on a few variables.

As for permaculture, I hope you have fish in mind. In
my day job universe, investment accounting data
systems, the objective we target with our systems is
to have a system that can be spread evenly across
computer systems to the Nth degree. In other words,
we don't write a system to handle each trade one at a
time, but rather design the system to handle trades as
independently as possible; allowing the potential for
as many systems to come online as needed for the
demand to make trades; parallel processing mitigates
the need for faster programs and computers by
spreading the work over as many as you need (convert
software efficiency into a hardware cost equation).
Imagine a computer program focusing only on it's own
snow flakes during a blizzard of trades.

This is how I see the multiple use of Permaculture;
double and triple the use of available land with
protein production and composting over the same space
in parallel. The fish, I am seeing in my own
thoughts, are one lair of many for a given spot in the
ground. I happen to like Arctic Char the most, so I
have been studying thermo-electronics to chill ground
temperature water that the Char swim in my
visualization. The water entering the Char pool will
be cooled via a Peltier module, while the exiting
water is heated by the complementary side of the
Peltier module. The overheated water can hug some
compost, then water gravel beds of a greenhouse or
landscape. Hopefully, the overall design sheds heat
for the Char to stay around 50F for optimum
reproductive rates; fans and copper cooling fins can
help insure a temperature drop from the grounds 55F.

If you need more information on aquaponics, let me
know. A fourth layer could be mushroom production. A
fifth could be a ground water loop for efficient
heating/cooling of a building structure. A sixth for
windmill power. Peltier modules have a secondary use
as power generation, albeit a small amount more
available +/- 60C from 0C and at less efficiency than
even solar modules; you can run a small fan from a
coffee cup.

-Sean.