permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pond Building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pond Building
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:31:34 -0400

How big a pond ? ( I just got through building my second one)..... One of the keys is that it not merely be a hole but that it have a variety of contours, ledges, depths etc.....another is that you have either clay or a liner, and another is that you have access to an existing pond's water so as to inoculate your own with the right bacteria/micoorganisms/plants...

In terms of engineering per se, is it a pond or a dam ? Will it be fed by run off ? In this case yes, you will have to consider spill ways etc. and it will require a substantially more involved email :-)

Let us know,

Claude