permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Cuba

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: genest@pivot.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in Cuba
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 10:07:19 -0700

genest@pivot.net wrote:
I'm planning on visiting Cuba this year Larry ...Wiyh my Cdn.passport of

What does Cdn. mean?

course...( not just for pc though...always wanted to learn to Salsa !)

I know there are many Cdn developers already in cahoots with locals just
ready to build all manner of generic big-ass resorts as soon as they can...

That's just what I was referring to regarding influx of big business into
Cuba displacing the best they now have
and again reducing them to a stratified society economically polarized. I
would like to hear srom some Cubans
on this subject; maybe some of those PC people can join this list - or are
they prevented by doing so by the embargo or
Castro's restrictions?

As with the NC coast, once a string of beaachfront cottages and a few small old timey
boarding hotels, which has become "The Crystal Coast",
no doubt named for the crystalline appearance of all the tons of glass in the high rise hotel and motels that now dominate the shorefront, 'the result of a real estate goldrush. You can easily imagine what this must be like; and beach erosion is a huge problem with taxpayer's money being ill-spent on stopgap control measures, further compounding the problem. And then there are the No Swimming and No Fishing
signs indicating water pollution alerts. And the draining of lowland prior to
contruction and the subsequest loss of marine estuaries
and the devastation of the local fishing industry. You can easily imagine the
scenario that could unfold in Cuba.

I had in mind something like ecotourism and educational facilities teaching
farming and permaculture and possibly eco villages
even eco cities; all without disturbing one earthworm in a single garden
there.

I think you will see the type of development that makes us cringe happen so
fast it will be scary... Scarier still will be how most Cubans will cheer
it and welcome it as progress...Very discouraging indeed....

Part of the required reading for the Cuban PC courses taught weekly should be
participation in this list!
Bring them on!

LL
--