permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "From a bamboo crisis - innovation" Bamboo in India, a challenge for permaculturists, farmers and light industry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Wordgarden" <wordgarden@iinet.net.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "From a bamboo crisis - innovation" Bamboo in India, a challenge for permaculturists, farmers and light industry
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:16:36 +0800

I have a question. If all the bamboo dies after flowering, then the new
generation must come from the seeds. Yes?
If all the bamboo is harvested before flowering, as suggested in this
article, then there may not be much of the new generation of bamboo left.
This will surely be more of a disaster...

--Robert

> The life cycle of muli bamboo, the predominant species in India's
> northeast, is about 50 years. In 1959, the last time the bamboo forests
> of Mizoram flowered, the abundance of seeds produced by the plants...

<snip>

> One suggestion offered by the state government has been the preemptive
> harvesting of bamboo.

<snip>

> The Indian government, in an attempt to boost bamboo harvesting before
> flowering begins, ....

<snip>