permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Field peas or grey peas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Field peas or grey peas
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:00:01 -0400

We get our field peas at Southern State, a farm supply place nearby. If you can't find a local source you can mail order them. Try searching online, too.
Here in NC, these fall-planted peas will stay green all winter providing food in the form of pea shoots, the growing tips which are delicious in salads or stir fries.
Allan Balliett wrote:

Sharon - Would the 'gray peas' be what are currently known as 'Austrian Field Peas' and commonly available wherever cover crops are sold? -Allan

In the "The Oxford/Penguin Companion to Food" (ed. by Alan
Davidson) in the section on peas it says that the
common peas in Europe up to the 16th century were "field peas", also
known as "grey peas", and that the "garden peas", the green peas we
eat today, were not commonly grown until the 16th century.

Does anyone know about the differences in these peas and any sources for the
grey peas?

Sharon
gordonse@one.net

Keith Johnson