permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture Teacher Training

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michael Kramer" <MKramer@hawaii.rr.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture Teacher Training
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:36:25 -1000

This is an opportunity for novice and experienced permaculturists to
experience the application of traditional permacultural concepts and
processes (such as site and element analysis, zonation, and design) to the
creation of educational experiences, in particular, permaculture learning
events. In embracing holistic teaching methods, students see patterns,
understand human guild dynamics, and explore the meaningful ways in which
people learn and retain information. For this reason, and because it's a
heck of a good time, I highly recommend this course even for those who have
been teaching permaculture for many years; applying permaculture design to
permaculture courses is thought-provoking at the very least, and walking our
talk in its purest form, which helps us all to deepen the effectiveness of
the permaculture movement.

The Urban Permaculture Guild and the Living Edge Permaculture Guild present:

Heal the World by Teaching Permaculture
Permaculture Teacher Training Course
July 30 -Aug 6, 2004
Ocean Song Farm & Wilderness Center
Occidental, California
$715.-$915. (sliding scale)

Call Kat Steele to register at 510-547-7889 or kat@steelemoon.com

Come learn a revolutionary new way of teaching: apply the principles of
permaculture to the teaching of permaculture. In this fun, interactive class
you will learn powerful techniques gleaned from the wisdom of experienced
teachers from around the globe. With more than 25 years of combined
permaculture teaching experience, Michael Kramer and Christopher Peck will
facilitate this teacher certification course for the fifth time, the second
time here in California. Known worldwide as permaculture pranksters, they
guarantee you will laugh, learn, and leave saying "I can heal the world by
teaching permaculture!"

What's Special about this Permaculture Teacher Training Course?
The course introduces a revolutionary new way of teaching permaculture - we
apply the principles of permaculture to the teaching of permaculture. We
will cover every aspect of being an exciting and effective permaculture
educator.

Some of what you will learn:
-Building confidence through practice and supportive critique. Everyone will
have several opportunities to teach in this workshop, to see themselves on
film and improve in a supportive environment.

-Teaching methods that work - you will learn at least 5 new teaching
techniques, and will develop new creative ideas of your own! These
innovative teaching methods work, and they teach permaculture while modeling
permaculture principles.

-A simple technique to help you prepare quickly and thoroughly. We will
cover the preparation techniques that professional teachers and consultants
use to quickly organize their thoughts and materials.

What past course participants have to say:

Great course! Now I have some huge commitments & tools & inspiration &
strength, to life - me - the world. I deepened what I had inside. Thanks!
Irene, Mexico City, Mexico

Michael and Christopher are outstanding instructors, facilitators, teachers
of this profound and complex course. Awesome team! I had one of the best
weeks of my life! Ayernye, Santa Monica, CA

I was touched and moved by the depth and power of this permaculture
'learning in circle.' I gained the confidence, practice and techniques I
need to teach. I was so inspired I just have to organize a class in the Bay
Area!
Kat, Oakland, CA (and organizer of this class!)

The course was excellent! I feel really fortunate to have been here. Thanks
to All! Blessings and Abundance!!
Devin, Cotati, CA

The prerequisite for this course is a certified Basic Permaculture Design
Course. Upon completion course attendees will be eligible for Permaculture
Teacher Certification.

A Sampling of Exciting Course Topics:
-Elements for Whole Person Learning, Learning Styles & Multiple
Intelligences
-Diverse Teaching Methods & The Learning Pyramid
- Designing Effective Learning Experiences and the Art of Teaching as a
Guild
-The Design Process, Teaching Permaculture Ethics and Principles
-Teaching Patterning, Sector Analysis, Zonation, and the Site & Client
Assessment
-Innovative Teachniques: Concept Mapping, New Mythologies, Case Studies and
More!
-Cultivating a Team, Planning Courses, Marketing and Promotion
-You will have fun!

The powerful teaching techniques you will learn in this course were gleaned
from the years of permaculture teaching wisdom developed by experienced
permaculture teachers around the globe. This is the fifth teacher training,
the last course was taught in October 2004 at Dimond Light Center for
Tranformational Arts in Oakland. In 1999, Permaculture Drylands Institute
sponsored and funded the creation of A Permaculture Curriculum, and
Developing the Art of Teaching, which provide detailed guidelines on how to
organize and contextualize permaculture learning experiences that are more
meaningful and interesting than lectures. (You'll get a copy of both as a
part of this course!)

This course is taught by Michael Kramer and Christopher Peck, who have more
than 25 years of combined permaculture teaching experience. They are well
known as fun and effective educators. Both have committed their lives to
Earth Care, and they like to have fun doing it!

Michael has taught permaculture since 1991, when he founded and directed
Youth Ecology Corps, an innovative permaculture education and job training
program.He was Executive Director of Permaculture Drylands Institute, during
which time he led permaculture workshops for school teachers, planners, and
architects. He has been a non-profit planning and development consultant for
many years. Michael currently teaches permaculture through his own courses
and workshops. He is a Registered Investment Advisor Representative with
Natural Investment Services, where he exclusively manages portfolios of
socially responsible investments. Michael has a Master's degree in Education
from Harvard University; he is currently starting a high school/university
with a permaculture degree program in his hometown of Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

Christopher is a sustainability entrepreneur living in Sebastopol,
California. He is the owner of Holistic Solutions and an Investment Advisor
with Natural Investment Services, a socially responsible financial planning
firm applying the principles of natural systems to the world of personal
finance. He is also a partner in two permaculture-based real estate
development companies. A Certified Educator in Holistic Management, he has
been teaching and practicing permaculture since 1992. He was on the board of
Permaculture Drylands Institute in Santa Fe, NM for 6 years, and was the
Curriculum Director, during which time he authored Developing the Art of
Teaching, and A Permaculture Curriculum. He also teaches financial planning
and sustainable business development at New College in Santa Rosa, CA. An
avid backpacker, he has a black belt in Aikido and is an ordained zen
buddhist lay monk.

We are very pleased to feature Very Special Guest Presenters:
Penny Livingston-Stark of the Permaculture Institiute of Northern
California,
Brock Dolman of the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center,
Benjamin Farher of Sonoma Permaculture Guild, and
Katherine Steele of the Urban Permaculture Guild.

Location & Dates
July 30-August 6, 2004 (Saturday-Friday)
Ocean Song Farm and Wilderness Center
Map: http://www.oceansong.org
Ocean Song is located on 360 acres in the serene coastal hills of western
Sonoma County above Bodega Bay. Entrance is 5.3 miles west of Occidental,
at 19100 Coleman Valley Rd.

Nature trails lead through rolling ridgetop grasslands, rugged canyons, oak
woodlands, and redwood groves hosting fields of colorful wildflowers and an
abundance of wildlife. The gardens offer a profusion of blooms, wafting
scents of herbs and flowers, and an oak-shaded picnic area. Breathtaking
views sweep from Mt. Tamalpais to Point Reyes and up the coast. Educational
programs foster environmental awareness and responsibility. 240-acre
Finley Creek Nature Preserve and its trails are open to members year-round.
The land is protected by a conservation easement with the Sonoma Land Trust.
-----
Michael Kramer
Natural Investment Services
P.O. Box 390595
Keauhou, HI 96739

www.NaturalInvesting.com
888-779-1500

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

  • [permaculture] Permaculture Teacher Training, Michael Kramer, 05/12/2004