permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Epsom salts on lawn?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Epsom salts on lawn?
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:47:24 +1000

Re applying Epsolm salts as magnesium to the soil its important to know what
your Mg levels are. It's one of those critical catalyst nutrients and too
little or too much will inhibit the take up of Potassium, too much creates a
calcium deficiency, a calcium deficiency inhibits the ability of Rhyzobium
bacteria to form N nodules etc etc. It's one of the factors I appreciate
having a proper soil test analysis for to make informed decisions.
The dilution for fungicide use shouldn't upset soil chemistry if used in
moderation i.e. for soils already containing sufficient Mg.
I'm not sure regarding it's fungicidal action if it's the sulphur or Mg or
combination of the 2, but it really works.
I'd be cautious however of having/applying too much to throw things out of
balance.
Robyn