permaculture - Re[2]: [permaculture] chooks and electric fences

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [permaculture] chooks and electric fences
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:09:46 +0000

Hello Robert and all,

There is an organic commercial unit (300 hens) in our region that uses
the electric poultry netting. They are very happy with it and said
last summer that they had not lost a single hen to foxes - and they
live in very 'foxy' territory. They've been a business for 2-3 years I
think. Obviously the birds are well fed and have a large area
available, several times what the organic standards require (which is
10m2 per bird; I think there guys have 60m2 per bird) which means the
bird have no incentive to leave the fenced-in area. There is a
strip of black plastic under the fence all around and they mow the outside
regularly (one wheel of mower on plastic:
[chicken side] __Š_0_mower 0 ). Does a neat job and keeps the charge
up. They keep Lohmann crosses.
I have been using same netting for my goats and have now taken one 50
yard fence to protect my 3+1 chickens in the soft-fruit garden. They
are in a chicken tractor but I now open the flap for them during the
day so that they
can roam a bigger, fenced-in, area. So far so good (it's been 2
months). They are Barnevelders. Lighter, flightier breeds might well
fly over if they run out of food.
Orpingtons are very plump and lazy birds. I think they would easily be
confined + protected with the poultry netting.
No matter what I would always lock up the birds in a fox-proof house
at night.

HTH
Ute