permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Step-by-step "How to..."

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Step-by-step "How to..."
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:29:50 +0000

Hello Guy,
I can very much recommend the distance-learning course on Agroecology
offered by the U of Cal / Berkeley. I took the course in Oct-Dec and
found it very interesting, useful, thought-provoking, inspiring and fun, too!
There were c. 30 students from around the globe in the course - a
'mixed bag' of Masters and PhD students, permaculture/sust. ag. practicioners,
agricultural engineers, ag advisers, university teachers etc.
The next course starts Feb.2 and will be more practical than the one I
did. I think you could gain a lot from it, as could anyone
interested in sustainable farming, agroecology, permaculture.

The information and registration page is at:
http://www.agroeco.org/agroecology

A word from one of the folks who run the course (Christos Vasilikiotis,
Ph.D. agroecology@porfyra.com )

QUOTE
As I mentioned before, we will be starting our next course on
February 2. If you know anyone who is interested, you might want to
inform them about the course. It is the second in our series and is
titled Agroecology Design Course. The course is organized to provide
an understanding of the knowledge and methodology necessary to design
ecologically based sustainable agricultural systems. During the
duration of the course we will cover organic production principles
and practices such as crop rotation, inter-cropping, cover crops,
farmscaping, no-till farming and composting. This year there will be
some overlap between the Agroecology International Online course and
the Agroecology Design course, but starting next year they will form
a two-part series.
UNQUOTE

The other people involved are Prof. Miguel Altieri and Dr. Clara Nicholls,
both
extremely knowledgeable in the theory and practice of agroecology.

Hope this helps.
Ute

GKRR> I am attempting to create a sustainable ecologically sensitive organic
ranch
GKRR> on 160 acres with grass fed meats, vegetables, herbs and flowers. Future
GKRR> expansion into boutique dairy, value added products, mushrooms and
GKRR> agro-tourism.

GKRR> I am seeking the following information:

GKRR> Step-by-step "How to layout, seed, manage, and harvest an organic
garden"
GKRR> Step-by-step "How to create a CSA from scratch"
GKRR> Step-by-step "How to create a Farmer's Market from scratch"
GKRR> Step-by-step "How to manage, advertise a farm stand"
GKRR> Step-by-step "How to create, manage a 40 square mile Agricultural
GKRR> Cooperative of producers, consumers"

GKRR> Guy Koehler
GKRR> Rivendell Ranch
GKRR> Hoquiam, WA 98550

GKRR> http://www.geocities.com/rivendell_ranch