permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Really Cold of Greece

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claude William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Really Cold of Greece
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:01:45 -0500

1.South facing trombe wall ( basically a plexiglass/plastic wall in front of the stone wall to trap solar gain and transfer heat to thermal mass of stone - cheaper version would be a plastic hoophouse/greenhouse and this would be a more functional choice since it would encourage food production)
2. Windbreaks
3. Insulate roof ( if this isn't done it's number one thing to do...trust me, I'm Canadian and it's minus 34 with the wind today !!) and north wall ( which may be direction of predominant wind ?)
4. Insulate walls from within
4. Cheapie solar collector thingie-watchmacallits - can't think of it right now and too long to describe.... Basically a sealed, sun gathering box with an exhaust pipe into the house

5. Since your slope is North east ( type 1 error !!) your southern exposure may be seriously limited so you may have to get creative with your roof...e.g. solar hot water and then use that hot water to heat up things in the house....tanks, baths, poly pipe through floor, steam, SAUNA...etc. etc....

6. Move to Canada where you'll be nice and toasty warm :-)

7. Three Dog Nights

8. Cob your south wall

9. Straw bale your north wall

8. Combos of all of the above....