permaculture - [permaculture] Really Cold of Greece

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Andrew Clements" <jara@otenet.gr>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Really Cold of Greece
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 19:33:03 +0200

Hello ,

I have recently acquired a North East facing terraced slope plot of about
2 and a half acres at an elevation of about 2500 ft asl in the mountains in
Western Greece . On the plot I have a mixed orchard and a two hundred year
old , two storey stone cottage . The cottage has no electricity , no running
water inside and it is BLOODY FREEZING !!!! It was abandoned about 50 yrs
ago and no one has lived there since . I am renovating it and I want to use/
have been using natural traditional building techniques and permaculture
ideas . I have a large inglenook fireplace but the house is colder when I
light it than when it is not lit . It started snowing two weeks ago and we
are about 3ft (1 metre) under . Night-time temps can fall to -10 degrees C.
Can anyone give me some very urgent advice on how to heat the place
sustainably , non-invasively QUICKLY b4 I perish from frostbite and
hypothermia .

Thanking you in advance ,

Andrew.
(aka - Really Cold of Greece ;-((