permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 10, Issue 5
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:16:52 +0000

Hello Charlie,
It's interesting to hear about all the different experiences with this
plant. It certainly seems to do best on sandy soils (the German name
translates as 'sandthorn' BTW) and in coastal areas.
I planted it here in Ireland on loamy, well-drained soil after seeing it
do extremely well (and with lots of berries c. 3 years after planting)
on similar soil at my sister's place in N-Germany.
One thing to bear in mind is that it is dioecous, i.e. there are male
and female plants and only the female ones produce berries. When you
buy plants it's usually hit and miss as to what gender you are
getting.
The other thing may be patience - ours here grew huge, they are at
about 13 feet now 5 years after planting and it is only this year that some
had
their first fruit and very little of it. This is c. 10 miles inland
from the Atlantic at 1000mm rainfall.

All the best.
Ute

CK> I have to echo mIEKAL aND's take on Sea buckthorns. I've planted them
here
CK> in Iowa (zone 5, heavy clay soil) and they grow but don't produce
CK> fruit. All the local fruit freaks have sworn off them including Tom
Wahl