permaculture - [permaculture] Long term sources of available Iron...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Orgain <vermontgardens@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Long term sources of available Iron...
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 05:57:11 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
  I have a calcareous soil substrate here in the Bahamas (pH 8.1) and have an iron deficiency in many of my plants. I do have an organic micronutrient spray, but applications have to happen every two weeks. Plants have been responding well to this, but I would like to think up some alternatives. Does anyone know of any long term solutions to making iron available to plants other than applying chelated iron?

Also, wondering if folks have heard of wood ashes lowering pH?

Thanks, David

David Orgain
The Island School, Bahamas
242-359-7625