permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Long term sources of available Iron...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Long term sources of available Iron...
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:11:41 -0700

> From: Meg Mullett <meg@kcnet.com>
> Carbon dioxide from decomposing organic matter and root respiration is a
> great acidifier of soils, so as someone else already recommended, I
> would also suggest incorporating large amounts of any kind of organic
> matter your can get your hands on into the soil, and laying it on top as
> mulch. This can be done while crops are in the ground. - Just don't
> till up your growing plants' roots.

So, like I said, make compost (using some rare added materials which you may
have to buy in in small amouts- like basalt dust and sulfur) which becomes
the growing medium for plant starts) and plant them into a mulched bed. Not
much point in tilling if the soil is coral/limestone sand.
I did see someone in Belize successfully gardening in a mangrove swamp by
making mound beds (hugelkultur) burying slashed mangrove in the excavation,
replacing the soil on top, and topping it all with mulch and compost.
For trees, the compost gets spread around the tree and covered with mulch.
The advice to use whatever p ioneer shrub/tree legumes are in the area as a
primary mulch/compost feedstock is very sound.

-Rick