permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees intercropped with fruit and nut trees
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:45:07 -0400

Since alders (black) are common in our wet valley bottoms we don't see a direct correlation from their presence to our ag output. I would consider their use in a silvilpasture system as one component and I imagine goats would browse them yielding goat poop, effective pruning thus a release of N. I've used them (like nearly anything carbonaceous) as mulch. They seem to prefer wet feet around here (and they shade the stream so well) so their use in upland is questionable (feedback?).
Keith

Rick Valley wrote:

Is anyone in the middle of the continent using Shepherdia? Alders?

Interesting thing about n-fixers is they'll use excess N that's lying about
instead of fixing more, so they'll moderate the levels. You tend not to have
an excess of N unless you do a massive cutting or something else to release
a great flood of it.

What I see in general is good plant health with a mix incl. N-fixers.

-Rick