permaculture - [permaculture] lists, spam, hosting services

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] lists, spam, hosting services
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:03:29 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

In regards to the below comments a while back - ad sponsored listservs such as
Yahoo! groups and MS groups are spam magnets. They may also insert ads that
directly contradict the intent and purpose of a given group. In short,
TANSTAAFL.

Some ORGs and EDUs will host (ad-free) public-interest listservs, depending on
a variety of factors...ibiblio.org, which hosts this list, is one such, as is
CSF at colorado.edu (csf.colorado.edu)

A colleague and I offer completely open source software based domain hosting
and web/net services. Yes, we charge money, because TANSTAAFL - and, we keep
it as affordable as possible for small independents, non-profits, ecological
do-gooders, etc.. No, there are no ads whatsoever (unless *you* want them
there in *your* own bit of cyberspace). State of the art spam filtering, user
configurable, is included. If interested in more info, contact me off-list.

> Greetings, spam is a problem and if anyone knows of a free site that allows
> you to create ezines and is spam free I'd appreciate it. I may have to spend
> some $$ if I want to continue sending out smallmoves on a monthly basis.

>> By the way, some time ago I visited your web-site and signed up for your
>> newsletter (I think it was a newsletter??) but received lots of spam
> email.
>> I have had the same bad experience when joining "e-lists" like
> Yahoo-groups
>> or MS-groups...so I have to recommend not using a system like that.

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net