permaculture - [permaculture] haiti- a call for ideas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "charles knoles" <huscularbeef@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] haiti- a call for ideas
  • Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:41:45 -0500

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are heading down to Haiti on the 12th of August to help design a School and a relocated village near the town of Camp Perrin.

We have a bunch of ideas about what we want to accomplish down there but would love it if any of you folk have any suggestions for us.

The project is being headed up by a friend of mine who is an eco-architect. The intention is to make a school that would break students and teachers out of the passive learning model of education and help to facilitate active, whole system thinking.

We will have assistance from O.R.E, a local NGO www.oreworld.org who are doing fabulous work in the region.

Any ideas would be appreciated but here's a few categories:

1) Community design and school design
2) Outstanding and/or innovative curricula involving sustainability, whole systems thinking, active participation, physical movement etc.
3) Special considerations for the tropics
4) organic vegetable farming in the tropics
5) organic tree crops and agroforestry for the tropics
6) Getting active participation from the locals
7) Cool stuff that works!

Thanks in advance for your help

Charlie Knoles