permaculture - Re: [permaculture] tools: ring knives...and ???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: bmn@iglou.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] tools: ring knives...and ???
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:39:24 -0400

In order, I'd say: digging fork, Japanese style arborists saw (blade length depending on size of trees), European scythe, T-handle compost fork, Estwing hand axe, Japanese hand sickle (kama), a long handled (2 meters) de Van Koek diamond hoe with a pistol grip on the end.

This last item has replaced the stirrup hoe as my favorite tool for cultivating row crops but is currently unavailable in US as far as I know. Easier on the back and hands than anything I've used. I'm trying to find a new supplier in hopes of introducing the tool to the Seeds of Change catalog. For light cultivating and sowing I've become quite attached to what Seeds of Change calls a smart hoe. Super light-weight and multi-purpose head.

Add on a Thomas Band Saw Mill, perhaps my favorite tool, and if you've got some trees and soil you should be able to build shelter, heat it, and grow food.

Hope this helps.

Scott Vlaun
Western Maine

Anyway, I'm curious...what sort of tools do you have that you
wouldn't want to live without?