permaculture - RE: [permaculture] tools: ring knives...and ???

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: <bmn@iglou.com>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] tools: ring knives...and ???
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:56:16 -0400

Anyway, I'm curious...what sort of tools do you have that you
wouldn't want to live without?

***One thing I like is a widger which is a tool for transplanting small
plants. It's about the size of a table knife or letter opener, but it's
made like a tiny trowel. With it you can transplant carrots that have 1/2
inch roots and wind up with straight unforked carrots. I found mine at
Bountiful Gardens
http://www.bountifulgardens.org/tools.html

***Another thing I like is a stirrup type hoe. Burpee used to sell a Burpee
house brand with yellow handles and interchangeable tool heads. I believe
they were made by Wolfe (don't know if there is an umlaut on the o) which I
think is a German tool company. The Wolfe brand handles might be a
different color. I have looked for several years for any place that sells
these, as people are always wanting to find one, once they try out mine.
Also, there was another tool head that I wanted for it that prepares seed
beds very finely, much better than raking. I used to borrow a friend's and
was saving up for the other head. That particular head had a head that was
like a bunch of small circular saw blades strung through the center. It had
a number of other heads besides those two as well. So if anyone comes
across these anywhere, I'd appreciate info on where.

on another note...how does one actually use a ring knife? what finger
is best for use? pics?

***Here's pictures of a ring knife
http://www.zenport-industries.netfirms.com/zpr%20ring%20knives.html

Looks like it would handy as you could cut and then hold/gather without
reapeatedly needing to put a knife down.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net