permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Contradictions in Language

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Contradictions in Language
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 19:39:35 -0500

Rob,

I think I see where you are coming from now. Thanks for the clarity.

Paul

robscott@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

Paul,

The point is that they are in contradiction.
Democracy plus Capitalism equals contradiction, that's what I'm saying.

The contradiction diction:
when the language speaks contradictions without the speakers' consent.
The language enlists its speakers as apologists : they describe the
contradiction as an error, a mere conflict, a glitch in the system...
oops, capitalism and democracy are tough to reconcile, sorry about that...

Contradictions are not a mistake. Contradictions are part of the program.
They're an intention. To deny a contradiction is to play into its power.

Rob

Rob Scott wrote:

I use the term "democracy" to refer to a social system in which the
participants as a whole determine how the system operates.
I use the term "capitalism" to refer to an economic system in which the
owners of capital determine how the system operates.

Paul Kosuth wrote:

isn't capitalism the economic system with an emphasis on creating
surplus value and when this surplus value is sold the benefits go to the
"owners" of the operation rather than the producers of the value (the
workers.) I strongly agree that capitalism is an economic system but not
with your specific definition. Rather than a linking of democracy and
capitalism I see both as being very separate. Democracy is a method of
choice, capitalism is one of the choices. Which, to me, make life in
good ol' USA so frustrating when our "leaders" equate democracy and
capitalism. I keep hoping to vote in communism but I'm not holding my
breath.