permaculture - [permaculture] Brazil´s New Government and Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <mhanzi@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Brazil´s New Government and Permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:14:48 -0700 (PDT)

As some may know, we have a new populist president who has, as his first political aim, "zero hunger" in Brazil.  As a result this government, unlike the previous ones, is emphasizing family agriculture...

It sems our Drylands Polyculture program has caught their eye, and our coordinator, Cinara Del Arco Sanches, and my husband, who represents the castor firm which has substantially subsidized this project ( coincidence...) have been called up to Brasilia to talk to them about it...This may be an opening into something really big..

I think Permaculture has taken on so well in Brazil because people already recognize that things are so bad they HAVE to change...

(Apparently another Institute, of the Cerrado, has made government inroads with alternative energy and construction techniques.)

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
www.permacultura-bahia.org.br

Do you Yahoo!?

  • [permaculture] Brazil´s New Government and Permaculture, Marsha Hanzi, 07/17/2003