permaculture - Re: [permaculture] civil society

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] civil society
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:15:34 -0700 (PDT)

> -----Original Message-----

Re: John Schinnerer - "Too many vague phrasings for me."

This is an open query John, not a criticism. I don't quite understand. In
some responses, you've talked about thinking in an inclusive manner, rather
than exclusive. Then when it comes to definitions, you seem to change to an
opposite tack. If there any situation that a particular definition might not
apply to, then you seem to reject that definition.

A definition or generalisation is mostly just a form of shorthand. Surely it
doesn't need to apply to every possible situation to still have some
usefulness. Just so long as users don't take it too seriously or become too
pedantic about its application. Fuzzy logic I think the AI (artificial
intelligence) people call it.

How do you feel about that? Should definitions have an absoluteness about
them?

Gaiden