permaculture - Re: [permaculture] civil society

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] civil society
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:32:37 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> I don't know what "civil society" is deemed to be in this instance. But I
> would think that Russ's elegant statement of 'social viability' would be
> applicable in this context.

Too many vague phrasings for me. China fits the description; so would the
former USSR. Or at the very least this would work as propaganda for their
governments - government coercion and militias 'don't count' from their
perspective.

> "Social viability: a situation in which the activities of communities
> contribute to the continence of a society and the wellbeing of a people
> and their institutions.
>
> This implies the ability of individuals and communities to function free
> of ethnic or other conflict and free of the coercive influence of militias
> that threaten the wellbeing of the population and the coherence of
> communities.
>
> A socially viable society is one which is resilient to external and
> internal pressures and provides the needs of those living within it."

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration