permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Monsanto Sues Small Maine Dairy for Advertising Its Milk as 'Artificial Growth Hormone-free'..]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: miekal and <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Monsanto Sues Small Maine Dairy for Advertising Its Milk as 'Artificial Growth Hormone-free'..]
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:03:32 -0500

It gets better. The Hudson Institute is a non-profit "think tank" funded by Monsanto & a whose of who of biotech engineering. Their recent campaign has included full page ads in Southwestern WI (& other milk producing areas of the US) targeted specifically at organic milk companies such as the one that I work for. If you scroll down the page you can see they are using standard organic activist types of direct action such as going to stores & meeting with store managers to tell them that organic milk is destroying family farms & putting pesticide toting, bht powered family farms out of business. We have a 2-3 year waiting list of farms waiting to get on the truck at Organic Valley.

http://www.cgfi.org/materials/dairy/milkismilk.htm

So far OV has been somewhat reticent to even answer to the ads & has been content to ignore them. But because organizations such as Hudson Institute have so much money behind them (BIG MONEY) they are starting to receive national attention via the new services.

Another interesting note today in state news is that they just announced the results of a UW-Wisconsin Ag study that found that round up was more effective & "better on the environment" if it was used with biotech seeds as opposed to standard farm grade hybrid seeds. I can see where that is going.

Ive been a skeptic of organic certified labelling for years but at this point if it means nothing more than being sure that no anti-biotics & no synthetic non-organic inputs were used in the production of the food I'm buying, that's a value that I'm willing to pay a little more for.

mIEKAL