permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Sharpening scythes ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Sharpening scythes ?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 08:58:50 -0400

Gaiden,

My experience has certainly been "the sharper the better," although mowing wet grass is probably the easiest on the blade. I also nick the occasional rock or dirt clod so I might not be the best case study. Sharpening is done with a small stone (@20cm.) which is kept wet in a watertight tin sheath that attaches to your belt.

I should also mention that the blades occasionally need to be "drawn out" with a ball peen hammer and a small anvil to keep the edge thin enough to sharpen easily.

I'll also reiterate that I'm using a European style snath and blade which I find infinitely more efficient than the much heavier curved-handle type.

Scott