permaculture - Re: [permaculture] lower consumption means....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Daniel.Donahoo@dhs.vic.gov.au
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] lower consumption means....
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:07:39 +1000

Claude wrote:
>Perhaps the problem isn't (only and necessarily) our consumption, but (
>also) how the consummables are made, packaged, shipped, and disposed
>of.... I am against having less, but who's against having more for
>less, better for longer ?

>I believe this is where gov't must play a role

working for government, and having studied a great deal of social policy -
I am not confidant in the role government can play. bottom up solutions
appear to be so much more powerful and long lasting than top-down
government approaches. (yes - a generalisation, but overall i think the
balance of power lies with the people).

the problem is complex, but the ideas of local economies (which the greens
in australia are big advocates of, and are making an interesting move into
local government...more because of their belief in the power of local
action, rather than as a stepping stone to any higher levels of government)
and sustainable communities surely addresses many of the circling issues.
so instead of saying how consumables are made is the problem, i'd say the
issue is our diet and addiction to processed foods and for 20 years at
least in australian schools through government programs 'healthy lunch'
programs and the benefits of fresh produce have been advocated and promoted
- yet the rates of childhood obesity increase.

yes - only one example - but there are many.

i appreciate your confidence in government, claude...and looking at EU
policies and approaches, perhaps some people in the world have some reason
to feel positive. but the banal and conservative nature of australian
politics and policy making is not something i plan on helping with the
problems of energy peak and food security.

cheers

dan d

daniel is contactable most of the time on:
5430-2373 or,
daniel.donahoo@dhs.vic.gov.au

This email contains confidential information intended only for the person
named above and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or use of this information is
prohibited. The Department provides no guarantee that this communication is
free of virus or that it has not been intercepted or interfered with. If you
have received this email in error or have any other concerns regarding its
transmission, please notify Postmaster@dhs.vic.gov.au

  • Re: [permaculture] lower consumption means...., Daniel . Donahoo, 06/17/2003