permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen economy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the hydrogen economy
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:22:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/2003 11:53:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, pacedge@magna.com.au writes:
HYDROGEN ECONOMY?
As to the link between where people live and the reduction in the
fossil fuel supply, won't the conversion from a fossil-fuel economy to
a hydrogen economy mean that life can continue much as it is?

There may be some confusion as to just what the promise of hydrogen is. We have no way of getting free hydrogen without using energy from some other source to make it out of molecules (typically water but any hydrate can be used) that have H atoms locked within them. This hydrogen is not a source of energy, it is a store of energy. You still need an energy input to get hydro out.

For instance the USGov is thinking of putting big bucks into "hydrogen research". What this amounts to is subsidising the research of their pals, the big energy corporations, to provide an additional market for fossil fuels. The idea in their minds is that all hydrogen will be provided by burning coal, oil and gas. Hydro can then be distributed through their own network of gasoline filling stations and natural gas distributors. Needless to say, this approach to making hydro is not a giant step forward.

It does have promise as an alternate pathway to electricity production. Electric has big problems in transportability, as the strength drops off sharply with distance from the source. A good 21st century pathway to provide electricity would be to put windmill arrays up in northern Canada where there is constant wind but no population to complain about visual pollution (these arrays are very large, both in size and in quantity, and noisy as hell). Put the wind to work cracking water, then pipeline the hydro down to population centers where it can be sold and used.

So we haven't gained very much if all we've done is to move the problems of fossil fuel depletion and atmospheric pollution one step further back. We still need to find non-depleting, non-polluting ways to make the hydrogen that's admittedly such a neat fuel for cars, and to make it in truly vast quantities.

Of course once we make it, all those city folks can so much more easily continue moving out into the country and commuting back into the swollen cities every day. And if you read the numbers, it's almost invariably prime farm land that's taken out of production to be 'developed' into new subdivisions. It's prettier and more valuable than other land for building lots, so there's a greater profit potential for the developer. And from the farmer's point of view it makes more money than his crops have been netting him these past few years so it's a win-win, with only the environment and the neighbors the losers. In any case, once a farmer's land is re-zoned for medium density his property taxes go up to the point where his hay, cotton or corn can no longer pay the bills. and he's forced to sell.

Here in North Carolina we have a very progressive farmland preservation trust. You can dedicate your land to non-residential use and gain some degree of forgiveness on your taxes and a fair degree of immunity from eminent-domain takeovers. Later on if you or your heirs change your mind you can still sell it, but you must then pay back all the benefits you've earned over the years it was held away from development. It's a good system.

Around here, there are a number of these heritage farms, surrounded by little communities of brand-new ticky-tacky that used to be the neighboring farms. The people living in these communities are very trendy, high-tech sorts, and are looking forward to being able to buy hydro-powered SUV's as soon as they come on the market.

We can't get rid of them or make them live in the city-- they are the next generation, choosing where they want to live within a reasonable commute from their jobs. What we can do is to educate them in the use of their land-- starting with the builders. If the builders offered a permaculture-designed nutrient-recycling home on a half acre lot they could sell them for a premium price-- assuming we get past this current bump in the road and the kids are able to find a job.

Just a thought (I guess there's not too many builders out here on the list though).

Mike Elvin
Fuquay-Varina, NC