permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Dried Stinging Nettle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Dried Stinging Nettle
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:13:44 -0700

georg parlow wrote:
hi lawrence:

Where can I get nettles seeds?

you serious? poor friend, what a country is this with no stinging nettles
all over the place? my favorite spring veggie, fertilizer for plants and
beast alike, lovely odor of the rotting weed in barrels of water in shady
spots of the garden - lets me seriously reconsider my retirement plans of
moving to ecuador...

Aren't you going to remain in Austria when you retire? You could build an
alpine cabin
for weekend retreats and absorb the stunning high country vistas; course you
could do that in Ecuador and the N.C. mountains too.

I have no nettles here so need to get them established. Every year I do have
these friends returning to the fields:

lambs quarters
chickweed
amaranth (non thorny)
- I have a small patch of comfrey started and hope it spreads extensively
Canadian bull thistle
wild lettuce
peppermint, spearmint, mountain mint and apple mint
upland cress (creasy greens)
wild mustard
lespedeza
various vetches
some purslane
blackberry
wild strawberry
wild roses
Queene Anne's Lace
- lots of other nice weeds

i would love to send you seeds.

Can they be mailed from Austria to N.C., USA?
I'd love to have some from your organic garden.

will take a few more weeks for them to be
ready for harvest. btw, the seeds are also said to be a great source for
vit.e and all sorts of other oily nutrients.

They are good for all sorts of things, tea included. Now they are favored as
salad/braise/stirfry greens
in gourmet restaurants. I'd like to use them to make compost tea, among other
things;
chicken feed supplement also. Maybe sheep will like them too.

keep growing (nettles)....
georg
http://zartbesaitet.net/georg.parlow.htm