permaculture - [permaculture] Dried Stinging Nettle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Dried Stinging Nettle
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 18:17:34 -0700 (PDT)

Re: Conrad Juraschka's - "Just wondering if anyone has experimented with
using Alder (Alnus) leaves or Stinging Nettle (Urtica) in Liquid Teas to
fertilize plants with."

Slightly different usage. I used to collect huge bundles of stinging nettle
(tried to get it all done in the one day of penance if I could). Hung the
bundles upside down in the barn until it was shatter-dry, then crushed it
into small bits. I'd mix a couple of handfulls into the chicken pellets. It
really gave my chooks quite a boost with lots of wonderfully rich yolked eggs.

Corollary to this tale: I had friendly neighbour who liked to indulge in a
bit of the 'wacky baky' occassionally. On one of his visits, he spied my
latest harvest of nettle drying in the shed. He was utterly convinced it was
something else completely. Thought I was being a miserable coot for not
sharing some of my 'homw-grown' produce with him.

I noticed a few days later a bundle had gone astray!! (not that I was
bothered by it). I don't know if he got a good smoke out of it or not? I have
heard of it being used in cigarettes for asthmatics. So maybe it did clear
his head a bit?

Gaiden