permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anyone in Ct that can take me on a walk like that?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: robert waldrop <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anyone in Ct that can take me on a walk like that?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 23:15:11 -0500

I would like to find someone like that here in Oklahoma City too, but
haven't had much success. What I did find, however, was a website at
one of our state universities which had a huge section dedicated to
native plants of the state, with color pictures, habitat, etc. I used
that in combination with the Plants for a Future Database to find edible
local stuff. I don't have the PFAF url handy but I am sure a google
search for that name would find it quickly. Of all the places I have
found info on the internet about edible plants, that is probably the
most useful. I have used it extensively for example with wild flower
catalogs, to find edible, medicinal, or other useful uses for beautiful
plants of the area.

Another thing to do is go on garden tours, as many of these edible
plants as, as the original poster mentioned, "escapees" from established
gardens, this is especially true of herbs. And then there's the
"weeds", one of which, called lambs quarters around here, we like better
than any spinach I have ever grown. The nice thing about lambs quarters
is that while it isn't a perennial, it copiously self seeds, and thus is
usually plentiful.

So a google search for "native plants of Connecticut", or maybe even
"edible native plants of Connecticut" might be very useful to you.
Google is a really amazing search utility. If I have a question I am
trying to figure out, I will often just type it into a google search and
I generally find an answer. For example, go to Google and type in "What
moon phases should I plant root crops under?"

Robert Waldrop, OKc
http://www.bettertimesinfo.org