permaculture - Was: [permaculture] Indus Valley Now: design plan for human culture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Colin Leath <cleath@j9k.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Was: [permaculture] Indus Valley Now: design plan for human culture?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 06:37:25 -0400 (EDT)

Creating a "permanent agriculture" means the humans
cultivating need a culture and a history that helps them
last.

Does permaculture suggest a design plan for human culture?

These aren't the historical tomes you have in mind, but
they're in the direction you're looking:

The first 80 pages of Starhawk's _Truth or Dare_

Derrick Jensen's _Language older than words_ and _The
Culture of make believe_ (all of his work, really)
(those are almost historical tomes...)

Daniel Quinn's _Ishmael_ _My ishmael_ _Story of B_

You might also find Ken Wilber's books world-view
expanding- I don't have a particular one to recommend.

Also the anarchoprimitivist authors are fairly well-versed
in this kind of history:

here's some related links:

http://www.eco-action.org/dt/futureprim.html
http://sacredlands.org/enemyofthestate_zerzan.htm
http://noleaders.net/anok/reports/notprimitive/

if you subscribe to
http://eatthestate.org/
they have something called "Reclaim our history"
http://eatthestate.org/07-16/ReclaimHistory.htm

The issue of common cultural perceptions and whose history
we learn is a huge one, as you suggest.

Even though we're aware of the possibly more accurate views
of history it is easy to ignore them with our behavior,
because that is what so many around us are doing (speaking
for myself).

Actually it is not easy... Which is why I'm seeking
community with others who share my orientation and desire to
live in a permaculture way.

To return to suicide,
http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/
has some links to hopi history and hopi prophecies that are
damning of the current state of affairs--but they are easy
to gloss over because it is not the view expressed by the
people around me and the daily paper.
http://www.mindspring.com/~what/hopiun1.html
http://www.recycles.org/hopi/guests/index.htm

Derrick Jensen's critique of the culture I am in is probably
the most complete and moving that I have read, but the list
really is endless...

This is an interesting topic.

Creating a "permanent agriculture" means the humans
cultivating need a culture and a history that helps them
last.

Does permaculture suggest a design plan for human culture?

Colin
http://j9k.org