permaculture - [permaculture] Re:.Lead and Newspaper

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re:.Lead and Newspaper
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:42:38 -0600

This is an old story about lead in newspaper that springs from the past practice of using lead type in the old printing presses, hasn't been used in many years and when it was being used very little lead was left on the paper with the ink. The ink itself does not contain any lead but today is contaminated with soy. Next time someone asks you about it ask them to explain to you where the lead comes from.

Some of the colored inks did, and may still, have toxic properties ie Cadmium, so I have avoided the colored pages in my compost and mulch.

Scott P.