permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re:.Lead and Newspaper

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re:.Lead and Newspaper
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:56:45 -0700

> From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>

> This is an old story about lead in newspaper that springs from the past

The "lead story" so to speak?" But yeah, that's my understanding.

> paper with the ink. The ink itself does not contain any lead but today is
> contaminated with soy.

NOW I hadn't thought of THAT angle! This is too funny; this is in the
organic organization news!

> Next time someone asks you about it ask them to
> explain to you where the lead comes from.

Yeah, well I wasn't given the chance before their claims went into print, is
why I'm incensed.

> Some of the colored inks did, and may still, have toxic properties ie
> Cadmium, so I have avoided the colored pages in my compost and mulch.

My understanding (in part based on my dues paid in serigraphy, lithography &
painting) is that those great Cd based colors are too friggin' expensive to
waste on newspaper, so you'll find them on things like expensive Christmas
cards (possibly) and of course any thing with metallic ink (wine & beer
labels, etc.) will have copper, zinc, etc. I think my compost needs the
homeopathic doses.