permaculture - [permaculture] Taro

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Taro
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:13:30 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> Is this the same Taro that I see in the specialty isle of the
> supermarket?

Probably, unless some produce manager is really really confused...

> Is it possible to buy some of that and get it to grow
> locally?

I don't know S. IL climate - what's it like in the winter? Taro is a
tropical/sub-tropical. For a bunch of info both cultural and botanical,
see:

http://www.hawaii-nation.org/canoe/kalo.html

The huli (start) for planting is the very top (crown plus a little flesh)
of the corm and the leaf stalk. Taro for sale in stores has usually had
the crown, or at least the whole leaf stalk, cut completely off.

John Schinnerer, MA
- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration