permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Gas from trash, and taro

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Gas from trash, and taro
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:27:20 -0500

On a totally different topic, I had had a taro plant in a sawn off 5 gallon
water cooler container, which survived, but didn't do well. Now having
recently transfered it into a clay soil garden area, it's doing quite nicely
without any bog like conditions. Are there any varieties that are adapted to
a more dry growing environment?

Is this the same Taro that I see in the specialty isle of the supermarket? Is it possible to buy some of that and get it to grow locally? This is what I did with Jerusalem artichokes. My store boughts did much better than what I got from a seed company.

Related note. I am reading Gaia's garden by Toby Hemenway and was reading about the Peruvian tubers (Mashua, Oca and Yacon). Where can I purchase starts of these and can I get them to grow in southern Illinois USA? (Just had my first home grown potatoes of the new year!!!)

Paul K