permaculture - [permaculture] Earth Activist Training

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Earth Activist Training
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:24:30 -0400

I  want to see this event happen. Whether I get any bucks for helping is beside the point. Penny and Starhawk are an amazing team. Members from Earthaven who attended a previous Training had gobs of praise for it. Help it happen.
Love,
Keith

Re: Earth Activist Training:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earth Activist Training: Learn how to create the world you want to live in.  Starhawk and Penny Livingston-Stark present a unique two-week, residential, intensive course that combines permaculture, effective activism, nature awareness, and earth-based spirituality.  April 26 - May 10 (late registrations are being accepted).  Location: western Sonoma County, California.  Cost: $1000-$1500 sliding scale (sorry, all work-trade scholarships have been awarded, but payment plan or loans are still available).  Details: www.permacultureinstitute.com/eat.  Questions? mer@starhawk.org or voicemail 707-583-2300, ext 119.  Can't make this session?  Next EAT is January, 2004.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi friends,

It's a mere two weeks to the next Earth Activist Training session.  And we find ourselves in a bit of a pickle.  The short version: we're asking your help to find more participants for THIS session, April 26 to May 10, and we're offering a solid incentive -- cash.  For real.  Read on...

The Deal:
If you convince a friend to enroll in Earth Activist Training -- for this session only, right now -- we'll give you a commission.  (If this were Congress, it'd be called a "kickback.")  We will give you $50 for a friend who enrolls at $1000 tuition level.  $75 for a friend who enrolls at $1200 level.  $100 for a friend who enrolls at $1500 level.  We find that our best "promo" is word of mouth -- our friends' recommendation to their friends.  Rather than spend more money on more advertising with iffy results, we decided to "sow it in our own circles."  Hey, you could even use it as a fundraiser for your organization.

The Pickle:
Usually EAT has 40-50 participants, and even waiting lists.  As we roll into our fifth session, things are different.  We had a much shorter lead time for this session.  The economy is taking a dive (aside: hey, how 'bout that $75 billion tab at the Bush Boys Cafe?).  The world situation is far crazier than ever.  And of course, the war has taken a huge amount of everyone's energy.  I had the luck to send out our major promotional mailing (weeks in preparation) so that it hit national progressive mailboxes right around March 20, when the war started.  Then I had an unusually high number of early enrollees drop -- reasons ranged from "just lost my job" to "exhausted from so much peace work."  Add it all up, and for the first time, we are short.  Penny, Starhawk, and I decided to go ahead with this session, as we are committed to EAT and feel responsible to all those who have rearranged their lives, bought plane tickets, and are excitedly looking forward to this.  But we are doing so at a deficit, and that's not sustainable.  (By the way, I'm hearing from other educational programs that everyone's enrollments are way down, not just us.)  Desperate times require desperate solutions.  Thus, our last-minute recruitment drive: aka: "kickbacks." I would love to have 10 more people, and I have room for 25.

The Fine Print:
Obviously this kind of offer could be abused.  This is real money.  So here's the rules:
* This is for NEW enrollments only.  Cannot be retroactively applied to existing registrations, sorry.
* Kickback is for THIS session only, April 26 - May 10.  One time offer, folks.  Does not apply to enrollments for next session, January 2004 (although we're  _always_  happy to have your friends).
* Your friend must enroll at regular tuition levels, sliding scale $1000-1500.  We have no more work-trade scholarships left for this session -- really.
* Deadline is right around the corner.  It's challenging, yes.  That is why we're making the offer.  So please talk to your pals now.
* I will send you a check after your friend has paid in full and checks have cleared.  If your friend pays right away, then it'll be quick.  If your friend signs up for the payment plan, it may be awhile, but I won't forget.
* Make sure your friend TELLS me, when enrolling, that s/he was referred by you or your organization -- that's your responsibility.  Do I have your full name (for check) and correct mailing address?
* We're making this offer to our friends, colleagues, neighbors, alumni, and new students.  You can forward it on to your friends, but I suggest that you not spam total strangers with this.  I'm leery of weird emails from seedy people with no connection to the EAT program, Starhawk, or Penny, (or me).  Ours is a legitimate offer for legitimate folks.

Any questions, please contact me, Mer, EAT coordinator.
mer@starhawk.org
707-583-2300 ext 119 (voicemail)

If you'd like flyers, I'd be happy to mail you some.  If you like, use our current announcement, above.

Thanks for your help -- and here's to creating an abundant world for all.

cheers, Mer

  • [permaculture] Earth Activist Training, Keith Johnson, 04/12/2003