permaculture - [permaculture] Hlep support Permaculture and Bioregionalism in Mexico

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, pclistservenv <permaculture@envirolink.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hlep support Permaculture and Bioregionalism in Mexico
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:46:59 -0400

Permaculture and Bioregionalism are closely wedded in their perspectives on
sustainable culture. Here's an opportunity to make a real difference for our
friends south of our national border. I know the economy sucks, but see what
you can do. Then, plan to attend the June 12 - 20, 2004 Continental
Bioregional Congress at Earthaven Ecovillage in the Katuah Bioregion of the
Blue Ridge. If you can't help or attend, at least pass this along.
Thanks,
Love,
Keith

Hello dear friends and fellow bioregionalists,

The Coordinating Council of the Continental Bioregional Congress has just received a very important and vital request from the Ayotl bioregional office run by Laura Kuri in Mexico, and we need your help. Many of us, especially those of us who live in the U.S. and Canada, have far more resources (materially at least) than our brothers and sisters in Mexico, and we have the opportunity with this project to GREATLY EFFECT MEXICAN ECOLOGICAL POLICIES AND PRACTICES!

The project in a nutshell: Ayotl seeks to publish a bioregional anthology in Spanish (THE FIRST ONE!) that would be distributed at a special Forum, to be hosted by Ayotl, for the Federal Chamber of Deputies in Mexico City on June 13, 2003. Fifteen local experts from the bioregional movement (including Fabio, Laura, Ana Ruiz, Laura, Bea and others) will speak at this forum. Laura says the timing of publishing this anthology is crucial because Mexico faces national elections in July, and many present allies in the Green Party will be leaving. Ayotl needs a $2000 contribution, to add to all already raised, which will basically bring to fruition thousands of dollars' worth of volunteer help.

Some of us on the coordinating council have already committed contributions of $100 each, and we've raised $500 total so far. But Ayotl -- and the many communities and lands Ayotl can reach with this event and publication -- need your help. Could you contribute what you can -- $10, $25, $100? If you wish, you may even have a small amount deducted from your bank account each month for 5 or 10 months to make a larger contribution (what Ken and I are doing -- painless and helpful). All contributions are tax-deductible and should be sent to:
KAW Council, Box 1512, Lawrence, KS 66044,
which keeps the coordinating council bank account and will forward all funds to the Mexican project.

Please look at ways you can help the Ayotl office have a strong effect on Mexican ecological policies and practices. Look for ways you can shift some of your spending to give to this. Think of what we can do when we pool our energies (financial and otherwise), and give all we can. In my years with the bioregional movement, I've seen so many important projects, but this one seems one of the most essential.
For the earth,
Caryn

  • [permaculture] Hlep support Permaculture and Bioregionalism in Mexico, Keith Johnson, 04/12/2003