permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How to deal with Chiggers?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How to deal with Chiggers?
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 22:09:53 -0500

The best approach is to avoid their habitats: tall weedy, grassy places. 2nd, if you have to work in those areas, ASAP shower with soap and a brush and most will wash away. They are tiny enough so that your skin is a landscape of hills and valleys. They fall into these crevices, grab hold and then spit on you. They don't "bite". The enzymes in their saliva basically dissolve skin cells which they slurp up. Charming, eh? Then your body reacts allergically with itching and swelling. Normally the first time you scratch and remove that bit of softened tissue, they are gone. However, the allergic reaction and subsequent healing takes up to a week to heal. Some folks put nail polish on to suffocate them, but it doesn't actually remove them or the irritant. I guess the idea is that if you apply it soon enough they will produce less irritant. I haven't found it to make that much difference. Besides, most nail polishes are themselves toxic. Humans are a very poor host compared to a nice furry or feathery organism. Still, they manage to get into the most annoying locations usually where garments bind like the crotch, underarms, waist, under bras, wristwatch, etc., though they can lodge anywhere.They are small enough to crawl THROUGH clothing, though tighter weaves and layers will slow them down. Don't wear the same clothes after washing.
Keith

darko nikolic wrote:

Hello,
My approach to insect managment is an intergrated one
but I've never dealt with Chiggers in the humid
tropics. Has anyone a sustainable solution to these
biting mites.
Thanks in advance,
Darko