permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #435 - 8 msgs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #435 - 8 msgs
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:00:59 -0700

The best we could come up with for our poultry was to fence them in at night, shoot stray dogs during the day. Most wild predators are nocturnal so the fence and hen house combination works great. For our tree roosting guineas and turkeys we put sheet metal around the tree trunk so predators couldn't climb the tree.

It took us many years and loss of hundreds of birds before we got it under control, and it is still iffy with feral dogs if we aren't here during the day. The gun teacher is a good one, I use a 410 shotgun with birdshot and it doesn't kill but hurts like hell and they don't come back.

Scott