permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Re: walnuts/oaks, wood ticks and stump savages

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Re: walnuts/oaks, wood ticks and stump savages
  • Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 15:29:45 -0600

Thought this might give a good perspective for those who have timber to sell.

> We're only about
> 100 miles from you and we gave a poor market for walnut, no market
> for hickory, very little market for red oak but a great one for
> whites.

One thing we did last time we sold timber was to use a private forester. He
picked out and marked which trees to harvest in such a way as to improve the
yield of the woods in the future and left most that were very nice but still
had growth potential. Then he bid it out to about 12 sawmills. The
difference between the top and low bids was over 100%, or about $30,000.
The sawmill winning the bid was about 150 miles away and I hadn't heard of
them before. They paid up front before loading the wood and also paid extra
for 3 trees that were damaged by harvested trees. The forester works on 10%
commission. He also avoids bidding out lumber to sawmills with bad
reputations. I will always use a forester from now on to manage my woodlots.

Lance Johnson
Hesperia, MI

Since time is important, please reduce the number of lines from previous posts you reply to, and use an accurate subject line.
Post message: grazersedge@egroups.com
Subscribe: grazersedge-subscribe@egroups.com
Our homepage: http://www.egroups.com/group/grazersedge