permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thanks to georg

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thanks to georg
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:33:37 -0700

> From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>

> I first learned of the ethelyne cycle from Lea Harrison in the 1992 Hawaii
> permaculture course. This is a scientific argument agains plowing , for
> example, and has lots of other exciting ramifications.
> I lent the paper to someone years ago and no longer could remember all the
> steps in the cycle

There's a good printing of it in the Pc Activist in the soils issue from
back around those far-off days. I think it's also an explanation of why in
*some* conditions plowing works (perhaps occasionally or short term) One
friend, a librarian, did a search on the source of Lea's info (Alan Smith-
did I remember that right?) and found that he's pretty much a loner in soils
science. I ran the reactions by my dad, a chemist, and his response was,
that that was probably ONE pathway; that in his experience reactions will
travel by ALL possible pathways; I thought that was an interesting idea
about reality.
-Rick