permaculture - [permaculture] Thanks to georg

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Thanks to georg
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:37:30 -0200

I first learned of the ethelyne cycle from Lea Harrison in the 1992 Hawaii
permaculture course. This is a scientific argument agains plowing , for
example, and has lots of other exciting ramifications.
I lent the paper to someone years ago and no longer could remember all the
steps in the cycle, nor found souce of explanation-- even asked on this list
some time ago, and got a partial reply from Jack Rowe.

Thank you so much ! This is really important in our agriclutural work.

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
www.permacultura-bahia.org.br

> Message: 4
> From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
> To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
> Subject: Re: [permaculture] areobic/anerobic
> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 15:59:55 +0100
>
> let me try to run that one by once again - admittedly i had to look
through
> my notes to get it all clear. but i am working on this so i will
eventually
> reach the point where it is all simple and easy to explain for me. ok,
here
> we go:
>
> since this is a glance into the quite complex interactive web of life,
> linear language fails me a bit. so please patiently follow my fragmented
> narrations, and put them together within your systemic mind.
>
> since us gardeners main interest is the health and production of the
> plants, i will look at it from the point of the plant. how the degradation
> of pesticides and other things tie in can then easily be concluded when
> looking onto the various aspects of the action.
>
> plants generate energy in their leaves. apparently they deposit up to 25%
of
> this energy in the soil through their roots - part as extrudates, part as
> shedding of dead matter. this apparent loss of energy in the form of
carbon
> is actually a well spent investment. microorganisms living in the
> rhizosphere gobble it all up, and due to the energy boost they multiply so
> fast, that they use up all the available oxygen. this way anaerob
> microniches are created. in order to understand why this is important we
> will have to appraoch from a different angle as well.
>
> soil is full of iron - 2 to 12% of it's weight are made up by it. in well
> aerated soils this iron exists in the trivalent form of tiny ironoxide
> crystalls. now if the microclimate turns anaerobic this fairly inert
> trivalent iron crystalls fall apart and change to the mobile bivalent
form,
> also called reduced form. and this is important for 2 reasons: one is,
that
> this reduced form of iron is needed in order to produce ethylene - when
> ethylene is generated in the soil, it stops the life processes of the
> microorganisms that fed on the energy bonus given to them by the plants.
but