permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Outdoor Woodstoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Outdoor Woodstoves
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:57:45 -0600

Since I have so much wood about. I'd like to find a way to safely burn same,
and heat house, and workshop etc.

Look forward to the lists comments. Frank

The biggest source of trouble with wood stoves in houses are old chimneys catching fire or poor installation decisions causing trouble (ie- flammable floors and walls to close. IF your chimney passes an inspection after cleaning finding a good quality wood stove becomes a matter of a few simple decisions. Catylist or no? A catylist wood stove should burn cleaner and more efficiently, and I think they are supposed to keep the chimney cleaner. You may also want to make some provision to vent combustion air near the stove in order not to create negative pressure in the whole house with the stove's demand for air. If your chimney is junk you may be able to drop a tipple walled stainless steal flue down the existing pipe. You may also find your home owners insurance demands this or at least gives you a better deal with one. The out door furnaces are a matter of continuing controversy. Personally I like them, keeps all the fumes, bugs etc out if the house, lets you heat multiple building with one furnace, can't burn down the house. There definitely is some loss of heat in the run of pipe from the furnace to the buildings, might be better if there was sufficient insulation of the pipes. Also might place a greenhouse etc. over the pipes run to try and capture that waste. Given that you have so much fire wood and a relatively short heating season (compared to WI anyway) I think I'd give that serious thought. remember to factor in your insurance savings on the outdoor furnace.