permaculture - Fwd: [permaculture] Heavy metals, more....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [permaculture] Heavy metals, more....
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:21:54 EST

Dear everyone reading this---

I'm late as usual catching up on my permaculture topics, but the subject earlier this month was whether to trust the contents of your rain barrel, after the rain has washed off your roof.

Whether you get your drinking/cooking water from the well, the rain barrel or out of the creek, you should have it analyzed. The $25-35 you give the lab is well worth it for their evaluation of heavy metals, fecal matter and coliforms. The same is true for the water you use irrigating the veggie garden.

And if you've designed some sort of home treatment system for conversion of your black- and grey-water into crop-ready or potable water, how are you going to assign a passing grade to your efforts unless you know what you've ended up with?

Look in the yellow pages or call your local ag extension to find out who is testing water in your neighborhood. Be advised that if you call the local well service you will be in for a sales pitch rather than an independent evaluation.

Mike Elvin
Fuquay-Varina, NC