permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where are you from?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg@igg.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where are you from?
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:19:04 -0500

I'm thinking that Extension standards are probably based on
conventional agriculture and gardening and I was wondering how these
soil test results compare with others of you out there who have had
soil tests done on your permacultured gardens.

Robert - If you are serious about growing ecologically, you'll need a more extensive soil test than extension can normally provide. Look into sending your samples to one of the Perry Labs, or work with someone like Jerry Brunetti of Agri-Dynamics (www.agri-dynamics.com). Jerry will give you an Albrecht interpretation of your soils. This interpretation will explain what is going on in your soil and contain recommendations on how to balance the soil to maximize the energy available to the plants and, ultimately, to yourself.

Try to make it over to Indianapolis to the ACRES USA conference in Mid-December to learn more about working with your soils in an ecological manner.

Short answer: yes, extension soil test are only appropriate for NPK (chemical) farmers.

-Allan