permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Lost summer/pastures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Lost summer/pastures
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:04:54 -0600

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:44:40 -0600
From: Clay & Sue McQuiddy <mcquiddy@getgoin.net>
Subject: Re: [grazersedge] Lost summer/pastures
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

sentto-46643-25442-1035791692-mpludwig=facstaff.wisc.edu@returns.groups.yah oo.com

Frank,

I think you are confusing Cereal Rye and Ryegrass. It's easy enough to do
until you see the actual plant. Then the difference is very clear.
Cereal Rye seed looks like wheat that is gray instead of brown. The
plant looks like wheat also, though courser. Cereal Rye will go to seed
much earlier in the spring than wheat, and in my experience, while cattle
will readily eat seeded out wheat, they won't eat headed out Rye. I don't
plant Rye anymore.
Ryegrass seed looks like grass seed, small and fluffy. Ryegrass
comes in 3 different types, annual, biannual (Italian). and perennial.
For the climate that you and I live in, there is no benefit that I have
found to having a ryegrass that is a biannual. The annual ryegrass seed is
much cheaper than the biennials. And I am not sold on the perennial
ryegrass for here either. Our summers are too hot and dry.

Clay

MO Ozarks