permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Best varieties for Grazing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Best varieties for Grazing
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:04:00 -0600

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:32:31 -0600
From: Clay & Sue McQuiddy <mcquiddy@getgoin.net>
Subject: Re: [grazersedge] Best varieties for Grazing
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

sentto-46643-25441-1035790378-mpludwig=facstaff.wisc.edu@returns.groups.yah oo.com

Over the past 3 years we have planted 120 lbs of Red River Crabgrass. The
first 60 lbs we planted along with BMR Sudangrass in 2000. We were in a
drought that year, so much so that I had my doubts that the crabgrass had
reseeded. But it had. The next year it came on so well that it mostly
choked out the BMR. We drilled Cereal Rye into the Crabgrass in early Sept
but it didn't take. At the time I thought the Crabgrass was crowding it
out (it was very thick) but after the same thing happened again this year I
have learned it was grubs. So we broadcast Marshall Ryegrass into the
Crabgrass residue in October. It took and we grazed it all spring and into
June. We then pulled off and let the Marshall go to seed and die. By Aug
1 we had a grazable stand of Crabgrass. And now that it has turned cool,
I am seeing a pretty good stand of Marshall coming in. So I think that we
may have a rotation of two reseeding annuals going. Maybe.
The other place we have used Crabgrass is on the places where we feed
hay. The pugging from the cattle tears up the Crabgrass residue and adds
fertility to the next years crop. I think this is one of the best uses for
Crabgrass.
Crabgrass starts sprouting here about May 1, and after every rain
thereafter. I have some seedlings out there now that are not going to last
past Wedensday (1st hard freeze) . The seedlings are not very competitive
and will only come on in bare spots, but once the seed bank is filled, it
is there for every bare spot that appears.
For more info, Dr Dalrymple has a web site,
http://crabgrass.hypermart.net/

They have about 25 years of research papers that they will share.

Clay

MO Ozarks