permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Lost summer/pastures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mark Ludwig <mpludwig@facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Re: [grazersedge] Lost summer/pastures
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:06:36 -0600

More still from grazers edge, I have been to this guys farm, he does a very nice job IMO.
Mark L

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 01:53:51 -0600
From: Clay & Sue McQuiddy <mcquiddy@getgoin.net>
Subject: Re: [grazersedge] Lost summer/pastures
To: grazersedge@yahoogroups.com

sentto-46643-25443-1035791695-mpludwig=facstaff.wisc.edu@returns.groups.yah oo.com

Yes you can double crop into warm season grasses. Cereal Rye is a good
choice because it is through early enough that it isn't in competition with
the warm seasons. I would wait till Oct to seed.. That lets the WSG go
to sleep first and the Rye will still have plenty of time to get
established. Remember that you want to rest your WSG for 30 days before
frost. (This does not apply to annuals like Sudangrass or Crabgrass.)
I have suggested planting wheat earlier but I want to add a caution.
If the white grubs are very thick, they can completely destroy an early
planting. After the weather turns cool, the grubs become less active, so
a later planting may make it where an earlier one might not.

Clay

MO Ozarks