permaculture - [permaculture] roundup- scientific literature

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "charles knoles" <huscularbeef@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] roundup- scientific literature
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:26:25 -0500

Hi Mark and all the rest,

I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list who disagrees with Mark on this issue but in general thinks he's a pretty rad guy and is glad that he can express himself on this list. Let's keep the ad hominems to a minimum and deal with the issues.

Mark, you said that you don't know of much research that shows roundup to be "all that bad". As it happens Dr Mabel Fisher, one of my professors did her Ph.D dissertation on the environmental effects of Glyphosate (roundup) and I am currently looking over her list of references to the scientific literature. From what I can gather there seems to be a fairly large body of scientific work that shows all sorts of negative environmental effects, from mutagenesis in animals to destruction of soil fungi,lower hatching rates in poultry, impairment of mating in aquatic organisms and impaired immune response, just to name a few of them. She also found that some of the main research publications showing roundup to be safe- including a world health organization report published in 1994- are primarily based on articles that were not published in peer reviewed journals but on studies that were produced/contracted and published by Monsanto.

She also notes that the much hyped, rapid breakdown of glyphosate is only true in particular soil types. Clay soils seem to bond with some of the chemicals present in roundup and cause it to breakdown over much longer periods.

It's also important to note that roundup is not just Glyphosate but also contains other supposedly inert chemicals that according to Dr Fisher's thesis have actually been found to have many negative physiological effects.

I'm not in the mood for a whole lot of typing right now so I won't list all the references but if you like I would be happy to photocopy the relevant reference pages and snail mail them to you.

Everything is groovy,

Charles Knoles

President
MUM Permaculture Club